Re: [LUG] NTP gibberish

On Monday 04 February 2002 11:51 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
The NTP documentation is complete garbage meant only for the Professor
who wrote it, the NTP FAQ re-hashes the same jibberish about leap seconds
UTC and falsetickers.

Is David a professor?

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-s-def.htm

I have NTP working - to a fashion - on the dial-up server. What I need is
a simple command I can use on the CLIENT machines on the network to get
that time from the server OFFLINE.

ntpdate servername

Doesn't operate offline. Why offline? It's for the laptop. Famous for losing
time, laptops need time syncing. Mine isn't especially bad, but it is a lot
worse than either of the desktops. Plus, if I have the laptop clock synced
then no-one can complain if we shut the shop at the time declared on the
laptop! It's like calling 123 every day but free.

This will set the time, but it doesn't do it gradually like the
daemon process, so might break some client stuff. But it is good
for boot up scripts before you start apps.

Problem is that I don't want to have to be online all the time - or run the
laptop for hours at a time just to sync the time. Apart from anything else,
the fan on the laptop is louder than either of the desktop machines!

Right now I have to duplicate the entire ntp.conf file to each client and
run ntptimeset -s or ntpd -q as root on each one whilst already connected
to the internet. Why should I have to do this when the server already has
the correct time, obtained using the same commands in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local?

I don't think you do, their ntp.conf should refer to local
servers only.

But if there's only the one server, ntpdate and ntptimeset bomb out.
Copying the config across still doesn't help with the offline bit.

So far, every attempt to get ntpd to just use the local server refuses:
Found 1 servers, require 3 servers.

Okay the idea is you have a hierarchy (The levels are called
strata).
Typically you define 3 servers at a lower strata than your ISP,
who form the basic onsite clocks and then others just use these
three as their servers. The three servers use the ISP time
servers as their "servers".

I've got that bit for the server and I can copy the details across, but only
if the server goes online.

So, back to an older problem. How can a client machine detect the absence of
a ppp0 connection to the internet on the local server WITHOUT triggering a
dial-up from pppd set with the demand command?
192.168.0.2 runs pppd with demand set.
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.4 need to find out if there is a connection without
starting one OR the server needs to notify the clients WHEN a connection is
available so that scripts involving ntpdate can be run.

Is it possible for the server to notify a client using eth0 once ppp0 is
available? Can iptables do it, or bash? Then the clients could run their
ntpdate scripts or start ntpd.

The problem with the laptop is that NTPD is a gradual process and the laptop
isn't left running for long periods. Ntpd is fine for the desktop, it's
running for just as long as the server, so that uses a simple ntp.conf that
only looks at 192.168.0.2 as the sole server. It didn't drift much before I
set this up so I can't tell if it's working as yet. However, I want to be
able to sync the laptop in a much shorter time.

Does anyone have a local LAN timeserver usable offline?
message body to unsubscribe.

Offline?! No I'm not going back to that.... Never...

?? That's what I want to do. Tell me more. Persuade me that I have to go load
up the laptop when I'm online. !!

I dare say the requirement for 3 time servers can be subverted
at the users own risk.

Tried that. Prof. Mills might have removed the functionality from ntp4. The
required settings ntptimeset -S 1 -V 1 don't operate on this config. Don't
know why.

--

Neil Williams