Re: [LUG] GCC compilation?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:06:16AM +0000, MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:

My only criticism is that the book includes a CD with GCC on it.
Fair enough, but I reckon that drives the price up a couple of quid
and is it possible to get a binary-only distribution of Linux
without GCC?

Doesn't adding a CD change he VAT status of the book or summat?

[ ... ] and play Gnibbles instead.

What's Gnibbles?

To get around this, find yourself someone to work with, set
yourselves the same goals and compete with each other, compare notes
and leave no problem unsolved - I cannot stress enough the value of
having someone to talk to about it.

Hell yeah. At Uni, there was an unwritten "help the year below" type
system going on. I was taught by the year above me, and I taught the
year below.

I'm also a fan of competitive software and I learnt a lot from solving
odd problems which required innovative solutions.

I'd say start something that you know you can't do now, but you could
in another language and learn how to do that.

Maybe

Steve