Re: [LUG] GCC compilation?

David Johnson wrote:

I am also taking those steps. Or rather re-taking. I briefly played with C a few years ago but never got past copying examples from books...
As a matter of fact I decided that I would like to learn C/C++ only today.
Do you have a book on C? Would you recommend it? I have an old Borland book on Turbo C++ and it is clearly not intended for people like me!

Thanks,
David Johnson.

Currently David im working my way through' SAMS teach yourself C in 21 days' ISBN 0-672-317664 £21.99.

Basically it splits C for beginners into 21 sections, each designed as one days study with a short Q&A.
it also includes a 7 section intro to C++ and Java.

The book is fairly well laid out ,logical and sticks to the ANSI C standard.

So far all the examples have compiled and worked! with GCC and any variances between unix systems and dos/windows have been clearly highlighted.

It would be an advantage to have some programming knowledge eg:basic as the learning curve is quite steep.

sofar 8 out of 10.

I think 21 days may be a little optimistic mind you....