[LUG] Re: WinME & DualBoot

I certainly wasn't aware of this fact, so ME restores the MBR without prompting the user?
I will certainly bear this in mind when setting up future multi boot machines
*****Cheers for the tip*****

Tom Laithwaite writes:

There was a guy a Linux day trying to get Winme to Dualboot, I *think* i've solved it. I say think because its a little simple.

<ramble>
After spending quite a long time downloading the netbsd ISO (95mb) on my trusty modem, I found I didn't really have anywhere to install it except my Winme box. So in the spirit of adventure I partitioned and installed, forgetting the whole 'it replaces your MBR on boot thing', so after booting Netbsd then Winme later then Netbsd again I realised that it hadn't replaced my MBR.

I soon realised this is because I had disabled 'System Restore' (that useful program that that sucks up diskspace). If you wish disable System restore the option is hidden in -- control-panel-system-performance-filesystem-trouble shooting then a checkbox 'disable system restore'
</ramble>
I hope that helps someone, I haven't done a search yet but I have a feeling someone has found this before.

-- Tom Laithwaite, tomlai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx