Re: [LUG] Sharing an internet connection on Win98 with a Linux box

ICS under 98se has a DHCP server deep in it that they don't like you to
fiddle with (no conf tool).  I found some time back that the gateway box
refused to talk to anything else on the LAN that it didn't have a DHCP
lease out for.
By defauly, in your case the DHCP server scope will be 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.0.254. (the whole subnet)
<<

192.168.0.2
192.168.0.253

easiest solution (if I'm reading the situtation right) is to run regedit
and search for 192.168.0 and find the bit where the scope is specified
<<

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing\Addressing\Se
ttings

(AFAIT, it was fairly obvious), and reduce the scope.  then wop the Linux
Box on an IP outside of the DHCP scope range, and all should be well.
<<

Sorry, didn't work. It left the Win98 machine unable to browse http://linux
without trying to connect to the net and didn't solve the problem.

I'll keep trying.

(I don't have a gateway or router on the LAN, could that be the difference?)

Neil Williams
mail at neilw.screaming.net
www.codehelp.co.uk