Re: [LUG] ipchains, iptables or what

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, John Horne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone just confirm for me whether I am right in thinking that
> ipchains was replaced by iptables, but that now iptables has been replaced
> by iproute-2? I'd like to 'upgrade' (finally) from ipchains but want to make
> sure that I'll be using the right stuff.

Iptables, is the replacement for Ipchains.  I've used Ipchains in the pass
for firewalling and ip masquarading.  Iptables is supposed to support
stateful firewalling.

This is worth a read on the new stuff in iptables.

http://securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20010122.html

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley