[LUG] Help with my Linux

I wish to find someone who can help. I have recently after many difficulties multibooted with a version of Red Hat Linux and using KDE. My sound, and even more of a problem my modem doesn't work. Where may I purchase a reasonably priced modem that will work with Linux? I have the modem compatibility lists but it is impossible to identify from suppliers list which one work and which don't and most suppliers don't know what their modems are.Is this the place I can ask this question?
Also I seem to be unable to change my Monitor resolution: I am locked into 640 X 480 True Colour (32bit) but I know I have support for 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768. I have tried to go to Xconfigurator but sem to be unable to run it - just nothing happens. Being a complete novice for Linux (or Unix commands) please someone tell me what to do in simple language. It maybe I just don't understand how to "Run" something in Linux.

Love life peace and freedom    Peter M Le Mare, Petanna Peace Barn, Carnyorth, St Just, Penzance

Lynx friendly