Re: [LUG] Konqueror

On Saturday 25 November 2000  6:45 pm, you wrote:
> I've been using Konqueror as a web browser with KDE 2 on Mandrake 7.2.

KDE2 on Mandrake 7.2 is a 1.99 Beta, not the 2.0 release according to this:
http://www.linuxorbit.com/features/terril3.php3
I don't know which beta they put in there, but in my experience the early
ones were real dogs!! I hope they did not use one of those.

> It seems it ignores all <font color="colour"> tags, even if you use the
> colour name (Say Red) or put in the colour number (eg "#000000" for black)
>
> You can use <body text="black"> which will fix the font colour for the
> whole document, but its not great at all.
>
> So it looks like I shall be sticking with Netscape or Mozilla for now.

To refer back to my original wish, it looks like kde2.1 really will include
an HTML rendering engine which handled old code rather better.
Found this at http://dot.kde.org/975311647/ describing the HTML rendering
engine to be included in KDE 2.1 - proposed release date for beta 1 - 18 Dec.

'New 'transitional mode' used when parsing old HTML, allows greater
compatibility with badly-formed pages etc. without causing a performance hit
for pages that use HTML correctly. This change is invisible to users'

but despite that, I would still rather use well formed HTML with css than
rely on a 'relaxed' browser.

Cheers

Tony Atkin