Re: [LUG] FTP delays

neil wrote:

> I was wondering if it is the DNS that is causing the error. However, as both
> the name and the IP are suffering delays, surely DNS is not the problem?

Microsoft name resolution is such a mess I wouldn't put anything past
it. I'm serious this is such a flawed design, one key features of
Windows 2000 is to dump the whole mess and use DNS properly.

> Or am I just confused? I thought I needed DNS, but for a two PC LAN, do I
> actually need it?

I wouldn't have thought so. My Windows box has DNS settings only in DUN
- no DNS settings on the TCP/IP interfaces in the network control panel
applet - after bitter experiences I always leave the DNS settings in the
TCP/IP bound to Dial Up interface blank - this is vital if you ever
dial-up a non internet network that requires a DNS, and works better
than setting it anyway.

Both my machines have "linux1" and "client1" in their hosts files, and
DNS settings on dialup are loaded dynamically (from DUN in Windows, and
from pppd in Linux). So without an Internet connection neither machine
knows about the DNS servers.

The only way I can see this being a Linux issue is if the ftpd is doing
a reverse look up on the client attempting to connect - some ftpd do
this as a security/logging feature. This is a very daft security
feature, and a logging feature of dubious utility since you could always
look it up, but you risk an attack on your DNS by enabling it.

Either way the ftpd documentation should be able to tell you how to
switch it off.

	Simon