[LUG]Re: Firefox UK Version

On Wednesday, 13 September 2023 08:27:53 BST Rich Brown wrote:

> Thanks Brad I didn't know that. Z looks all wrong.

 "-ize" was the traditional ending, when people first left Europe to start
annoying native Americans, we have introduced "-ise" in GB since. I learnt
most of them as "-ize", and come unstuck as some of the groups I belong to
insist on "-ise" for written material. There is a wonderful study about when
the Times updated its style guide to prefer "-ise" and the Times Educational
Supplement rebelled and stuck with "-ize". I really don't care which we use,
just standardizing on one would be better.

The whole GB/US English thing came up with me reviewing Debian package
descriptions, when some of them using "color" and some "colour" for example.
The consensus was we'll make the indexing tools clever enough and try not to
worry that Debian packages are a weird hybrid of different English dialects, it
really didn't come up that often, but I felt that when reviewing it I should
note what I choose not to raise bugs for.

As I said I think what you want is some sort of style tool.

Only free software one I know of is languagetool.org - it has premium options
to enforce team style guides, I've not used them.

It might be with a team you could justify just editing the dictionary and
hacking it into devices, but probably people want more style control. Feels
like the kind of thing that should be more ubiquitous but I don't think people
care that much about house styles (except maybe at TES and OED).