[LUG]Re: OT: Mailing list creation

Dear Julian,

I wrote the following last month but forgot to send it. Hopefully it
is still useful!

Generally, GNU Mailman is used; indeed, that's what is used for this
mailing list. Version 3 was released this year, and since it can be
difficult to upgrade from version 2 it would be sensible to start with
the latest release. The web interface is provided by an application
called Postorius and is usually installed along with another program,
HyperKitty, that allows the Archives of mailing list to be viewed on
that web interface.

Alternatively, the forum software 'Discourse' can be used, as this also
provides a mailing list mode if you (as the administrator) enable
this. I personally have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of this
mailing list facility.

In either case, one would need to provide a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) to
receive and deliver the emails. There are a number of choices for this,
with Postfix probably being the most popular. You will find many people
extolling the virtues of various MTAs, except Microsoft Exchange, of
which the consensus is that there are no virtues.

All the above software has to be run on a computer that is on 24/7, and
is connected to the internet with a public IP address. It is generally
appropriate therefore to rent a 'VPS' (virtual private server) from a
hosting company on which to run the software.

Running an MTA is often said to be a substantial commitment, as one has
to keep the server off spam lists. With a mailing list, a single rogue
member can quickly spread hundreds of spam emails through the MTA and
severely damage its reputation. I have read many differing accounts of
how challenging this is or isn't, but most will agree that the main
thing is having a reputable hosting provider who allows MTAs and can
provide a non-tarnished IP address so that you don't start off with a
disadvantage.

Best wishes,

Sebastian