[LUG]PHP working environment - easy development

Hi everyone.

I did this "project" which fitted into 24 hours.
Mainly driven by ulterior motive - revisit PHP.

Webpage resulting - "it's a solution trying to find an application".
http://weldsmith.co.uk/cgi_my/degdeci2dms/230716_degdeci2dms.html

My question is about the "working environment" to do PHP programming.

I wouldn't want to revisit the experience...

Here is my context - I usually program in Lisp, and find doing a
project rewarding, good for the mind, confidence-building, etc.

Decades ago I did run a Linux machine with a local webserver so you
could "build-test" in one.

Outside of a local webserver - is there any way to "stand-alone"
"fire-up" PHP?
You could replace HTML forms POST variables with a conventional
variable during build - so you can feel your way forward.

Programming in Lisp here in emacs, I can "fire-up" individual
functions.  You do "bottom-up" programming.  Famous characterisation -
"the cost of errors".  If "the cost of errors" is very low you can
feel your way along through the project.

With PHP one minor syntax error can have a big silent nothing showing
- and you are going through the cycle of having to re-upload the
entire code to the webserver.

I can see that if this were Python or Perl you could locally run the
code.
PHP being "inside out" as intersections in webpages (smart) seems to
have this problem of making it uniquely difficult to "fire it up" on
its own.

Am I missing something?

Rich S