[LUG]Re: Dual monitor set up

On Thu, 15 Jun 2023, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Anyone have bright ideas as to the best way to get the dual monitor to work (previous monitor was bought in 2018)

When I last did dual monitor stuff under Devuan it sort of "just worked". Plugged it in and go.. This was on both my desktop when using openshot video editor and laptop when using libreoffice presenter thing via projector display.

I used the arandr program to do the actual setup of positioning the screens relative to each other (up, down, left or right, mirrored or whatnot).

In normal use I really didn't want 2 screens, so I wrapped openshot
with an xrandr command to enable it then disable it:

To enable dual-screen:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x1080 --rotate normal --output HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP-1 --off --output DP-2 --off

and to disable it:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-1 --off --output HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP-1 --off --output DP-2 --off

These commands were actually generated by arandr - they are in ~/.screenlayout

Arandr is a more friendly version of xrandr - or at least interactive.

Cheers,

Gordon