[LUG]Re: Ubuntu 18.04 disk write only - Data recovery

 > > My wife has been running Ubuntu 18.04 on a Lenovo laptop.
 > >
 > > Unfortunately she had an accident this morning and fell, catching her
 > > ankle in the power lead and pulling the laptop onto the floor.
 >
 > > I assume that there is some corruption of the HD as the entire disk is
 > > now write protected, and won’t even mount an external USB device for
 > > us to pull off those files which are not yet backed up.
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > Any advice please?

First thing you should do is use the ddrescue utility to take a complete snapshot of
the disk to a known-working drive using a live USB image.

ddrescue has a similar command line interface to the dd utility but, underneath,
works differently. For faulty disks, it will do as much as possible to recover as
much of your data as possible before the drive completely fails.