[LUG]old tar.gz file giving me grief.

I've found an old tar.gz file of LispKit and I can extract it to a directory that refuses to allow me to read or change permissions in any way. Its from 1989

tar -xf LispKit.tar
tar: LispKit/association.lib: Cannot open: Permission denied etc

the GUI filemanager has managed to extract it to a directory tree that I am completely unable to access, chgownership or delete in any way! I can rename it though!

Any help on this?

Tom te tom te tom