[LUG]Linux on Macbooks

Hi

Am in the process of converting a few people's Apple laptops to dual-boot Linux. The first I did was a 2013 Macbook pro model with Ubuntu 22 LTS which worked seamlessly and was very quick to do. Pleased to say the laptop performs far better in Linux.

The second conversion has proved tougher its a 2019 Macbook air.
After ticketing the install third-party drivers on the installation wizard normally Ubunto does a sudp apt-get update and picks up the drivers.

This time the Wifi network card was not supported.
Doing some digging and found it was common that the later the laptop the less support for Linux in terms of the firmware.

Was looking to copy a Broadcom driver from onto a USB drive to install using a firmware installer from this official page.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/firmware-b43-installer/download

using instructions found here

https://gist.github.com/niftylettuce/5619c2be9906bcbd893e1e1a25b9d795

Anyway Terminal reported errors with the Broadcom drivers so I was unable to bind them to the wifi chipset. So my next move is probably a generic USB wifi dongle to get the right drivers to update.

I know there's a Linux command to get the hardware ID of the network appliance which then could lead to discovering the correct driver.

As some others have successfully converted the 2019 Macbooks.

Just wondering what your strategies or experiences are with converting Macs and getting drivers.  ???

Kind Regards

Matt