[LUG] OpenSSL security heads-up

The OpenSSL project are releasing details of critical security vulnerability
on 1st November fixed in version 3.0.7

OpenSSL is a cryptography library uses by a lot of applications that need to
talk across the Internet. A previous critical vulnerability was horrid to deal
with, but did persuade a lot of organisations to opt for alternative libraries
(which has made the hunt possibly slightly harder). For example Apple went
with LibreSSL for OSX for example, which is presumably not vulnerable.

The coverage from those with access to the embargoed release suggests it is
important to fix promptly.

What is revealed so far:

Affects 3.0.0 to 3.0.6
Is critical.
More on Tuesday from 13:00UTC.

Recent Redhat Linux and Ubuntu are using version 3 of OpenSSL, will presumably
have fixes available shortly.

Where it is installed as a command line application you can type "openssl
version" in a terminal. Here I have an old, unsupported (by OpenSSL) which is
not vulnerable because the 1.1 branch isn't affected.

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1n  15 Mar 2022

To get a feel for how this might affect Linux folk I tried:

$ apt-cache rdepends openssl | wc -l
254

The library is used by 254 packages on the Debian version to hand, in that
list is everything from mail clients to mail servers, programming languages
like Python (so a lot of things written in affected languages might also be
vulnerable, we'll see when the details are out), VPNs, cryptographic tools of
all sorts. So understand this is built into the infrastructure in many
different applications.

Unfortunately it is more likely to be a problem if it linked in code, and that
may not be the version presented in the command line, depending how many times
you have done weird packaging things that can bring in a version of a library
that isn't fixed by upgrading the core operating system version of the same
library. (This why we say "don't do that", but actually we all do it
occasionally because it is useful cheat).

What to do?

If you are small IT, then probably check if you are using OpenSSL 3 on Linux
boxes and know that you probably have to patch them and some third party
devices. Figure out what is exposed to the Internet, and if it uses openssl.
Check back on Tuesday.

If you are big IT, then hopefully you have a process for panicking in an
appropriately measured fashion, and maybe even tickets from what happened last
time OpenSSL had a critical issue. Usually the sky doesn't fall in too badly,
and a lot of important stuff left OpenSSL behind at the last critical so
hopefully it is less work than last time. Start the hunt, and be prepared to
do a lot of patching, cancel some meetings proactively and you might actually
get something done for a change (too cynical?). Nessus makes a stab at OpenSSL
version from ciphers etc, but you probably knew that if you are still reading,
it isn't a reliable way to find vulnerable servers but it will probably do for
now. nmap is your friend.