Re: [LUG] Moan, and thanks google. Refurb lap top

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Been trying to work out why I could not load Devuan onto an oldA
(7 years?) laptop. Finally realised (thanks google), usb socket loose.

Still causing problem but if all else fails can anyone recommend
a refurbished laptop that I can install devuan on.

For many years, I've set a budget of £400 for a new laptop and it's always been Acer. Debian (and now Devuan) has always "just worked" - although there were issues years back with the Wi-Fi needing "non free" drivers but I think that's mostly been resolved now.

My current laptop is quite old, having come from my mother in law when she upgraded to Apple laptop some 4+ years back ... I've put a new battery in it, however recently the wi-fi failed (small internal module, easy to replace if/when I can be bothered, but external dongle is just working for now).

Bargain Hardare has been my go-to for recent desktop (and little server) systems in recent years:

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/refurbished-laptops/filter/in-stock/1

I'd be surprised if Linux (Devuan) doesn't "just work" on the majority of those, so pick a budget (screen size) and off you go...

Cheers,

Gordon