Re: [LUG] OT: Mailing List

On 29/09/2022 16:25, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I'm after advice on setting up a list for a volunteer run museum I volunteer with, so not for commercial purposes, and there is no budget to pay for a commercial service. Basically so for example committee members can just keep track of one email address and not worry who is on the committee so they keep having to change who to include, also maybe another list for volunteers who are not on the committee. Also actual addresses are kept private. Something like this list in fact :) How would I go about setting one up that people can subscribe to / unsubscribe from please?

Kind regards,

Julian

There's a few different approaches to this, with varying levels of complexity...

Running a mailing list properly (this one is not the best example) is actually hard to do Well because of the inherent problems of email spam and the protection systems supposed to limit/prevent it.

Registering a domain can give you the facility to deploy a simple forwarding mail rule, handled by your registrar (ISP). This 'aliases' usually many email addresses to one central point-of-contact, and is something I use extensively myself.

User subscribe/unsubscribe does make it more complicated too, because the system has to handle those requests properly (and verify them - again, think anti-spam). There are tools to do it .. but again, it's not for the feint-hearted!

What do you (want to) do about bounced emails? I have a particular problem in that I get an ambiguous email from the Gentoo Linux mailer with a useless reference to tell me that some messages to my mailbox got 'bounced' and yet I have absolutely no record of this (nor presently, it seems does the Infra manager). This would invariably require some logging and manual intervention. Fine if you have the time, problematic if not.

Just a few things to think about, we could potentially discuss further off-list if there aren't any other willing volunteers/insights on it :D

Best regards,

Michael / veremitz.
PS. I did look into this seriously once, and it's totally feasible, just more work than I ever wanted to do. I have an ambition to run my own mail server before I die, but this is another area that needs a safe 'test-bed' that you don't need to rely on for day-to-day functions until you've got it stable and reliable!!