Re: [LUG] Upgrade Thunderbird

On 30/06/2022 09:20, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 30/06/2022 08:29, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi

I am using Manjaro distro with Thunderbird as the mail client. It is running version 91.10.0. I would like to upgrade to the latest version which is 102.

1. Is there a way to force the upgrade please?
2. Am I likely to break something?

2. Probably, 91.10.0 is the version that the distribution maintainers have packaged with your distribution (see https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro). This is the version that they have quality and assurance tested with the other components in your distribution. If you were to remove it and somehow install version 102, then you would have to perform all that quality and assurance testing for yourself. You may find that just about everything works, but if something doesn't work then you're unlikely to find help in that regard.

Thanks
--

Kind regards

Richard Brown
Youth Worker
07546 804439

--
Giles Coochey

It may also stop your routine distro upgrades or make them fail or you find two versions of same file conflicting inside your installed distro files.
It is safer if you use a specific distro to keep to that distro's releases.

You can always use a flatpack, or similar for single use out of distro maintained sets.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald