Re: [LUG] Nvidia goes open source!

On Thursday, 12 May 2022 08:21:08 BST Tom via list wrote:

> https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/12/nvidia_gpu_kernel/

Is there any indication why older code was not released?

My guess would be they don't want the maintenance headache if it has serious bugs, but that may be too cynical. I think older drivers might have an appeal to free software folk and must be less likely to contain exciting new secrets that AMD haven't already reverse engineered (he says eyeing the PC behind him which has an onboard NVIDIA GPU with a fairly limited production run, I haven't tried a distro on it as it was a Windows gaming PC, but it supports Windows terribly (Disk IO not the graphics hardware).