Re: [LUG] Scam callers

On 17/04/2022 08:00, Barnaby wrote:

Recently both my wife and I have received scam phone calls. No surprise there and no, we did not fall for it. The main reason for knowing that they were scams is that the caller, of course, assumed that we use Microsoft Windows. We don't.

It had never occurred to me before, but one good reason you can give someone for moving over to Linux is better protection from scammers. Many of the programs that they try to get you to download just won't work. They won't even install. And you have a chance for a bit of fun with the caller.

Just a thought

Neil

You could also have Windows 7 in a VM and play along, then delete the VM after the call :) I did hear of a mother who told her young child Santa was on the phone, so the scammer had to play along *lol*

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley