[LUG] Psychology of boot messages was Re: Hate computers. Hate HP. Hate USB.

On Thursday, 28 October 2021 23:52:51 BST Simon Avery wrote:

> Sometimes I seriously hate computers.

I have a similar issue I really ought to fix before it bites someone else,
where one of the backup devices can prevent booting (it just needs to identify
its disks more carefully).

Got me thinking that hiding boot messages is a mistake, although in my case it
is that it tries to decrypt the wrong device so more messages probably
wouldn't help me and may not help the other Simon either.

The psychology of boot messages is interesting to me. seeing boot messages
telling you what your computer is doing but is really off-putting to a lot of
non-techies.

I was always like "I can see it is doing something", and even if I don't
understand all of them I know what broke it. Where as a pretty corporate logo
and a whirring thing unrelated to actual progress really doesn't do it for me.

Of course more parallelism in boot processes means it is less useful than it
once was.

If you really detest seeing the boot messages please tell me what it is, if
you can articulate it.