Re: [LUG] OT: Accessing files on an android phone with broken screen

On 30/09/2021 20:36, Dom Rodriguez/shymega wrote:
Unlikely. You would need adb to access the phone, and if it's not enabled, and
trusts the computer accessing the phone, there's no way you can get in.

In the same vein if the phone's bootloader has been previously unlocked - which it should have been on day one - you can use the hardware reset keys to access download and recovery modes, remotely unlock the encrypted /data partition and retrieve your data via root access adb (this trumps adb access to a running phone as a user). You can perform this operation "blind" on a phone with a non-responsive screen as well.

You can even boot a custom TWRP recovery image via fastboot - much like booting a live CD on a PC - to aid the process but the whole chain depends on having unlocked the bootloader first. The catch 22 is if you haven't then unlocking the bootloader now (which once again can be done blind) triggers a complete wipe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I recover a lot of phones professionally so run into this a lot. The first thing I do with all phones I build for clients is unlock the bootloader, enable adb and enroll my main PC's adb keys on it. Of course this can't help you now, you either did it or you didn't.

You're still not screwed though - the final option is the most fun anyway. That device is way past EOL and hasn't had security fixes in forever. The phone is on your network so you know it's IP address: Metasploit time.