Re: [LUG] systemd and NFS shares

On 04/09/2021 12:29, Julian Hall wrote:
On 04/09/2021 11:20, Julian Hall wrote:
On 03/09/2021 23:36, Michael Everitt wrote:
On 03/09/2021 20:02, Julian Hall wrote:
<snip>
Yes it does have SSH enabled but I don't use it - as I only just found it.

NFS Permissions per NFS share

Client 192.168.1.0/30 - as far as I know this allows the range from 1.0 up to *.*.1.30
Privilege Read/Write
Squash  map root to admin
Asynchronous Yes
Non-privileged port Yes
Cross-mount Yes

Maximum NFS Protocol 3 (can go up to 4 but left alone). I exported a Permissions
Report but that said nothing about NFS or any other networking.

I think that's all of it.

Julian

I'd be a bit careful of 'cross-mounts' as they will inherit permissions from "elsewhere" (The man page details exactly how these are applied) but if you have something strange in your parent folder, that may well screw things up too ..

/30 is what's termed a 'bit-mask' ie. convert that decimal number to binary, and those are the 'bits' that you are 'allowing'. Frequently this is /24 or 255.255.255.0 which means all but the *last* octet(?) has to be the same, to "work" ie. anything from 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255. This can be restricted further to /27 and of course /32 means a single IP only. If you want only 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.31 to "work" /27
would be the correct bit-mask.
Ah thanks. Basically the network is 192.168.1.* from 0 to 255, so I gave the permanent equipment - printer, NAS etc - fixed IP addresses. The DHCP server pool assigns addresses in the range 192.168.1.101 up to 255 . That way I know I can assign a fixed IP up to 100 and not have WiFi kit - a friend or family member's phone / tablet / laptop - pinch an IP address as the server assigns them higher up. That has always worked fine, mind you so has /30. It might be that Synology's nomenclature is odd, or more likely I've not understood it and just been happy it worked.

I'm not sure of anything else untoward Yet .. but I wonder if your NAS has a differing idea of who 'julian' is, as opposed to your PC. In this instance I would probably do an 'ls -aln' (aiy-ell-en) and compare the numbers in the first column on
your PC to that in the 'users' section of your NAS.

I did '-alh' a couple of days ago, what is the n switch?

Kind regards,

Julian

Random thought. As the files were all backed up /prior/ to this, wouldn't they have the old / same permissions?

Julian

Tried booting with a live USB stick to see if anything would mount. PC then threw grub rescue prompts and wouldn't even boot without the USB stick plugged in. As the mounts were /already/ not working I decided to upgrade to Mint 20.2. On the plus side that gives a clean slate for networking with no other attempts to mount anything, save installing nfs-common.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley