Re: [LUG] Best Practice for dual booting. (was Re: ThinkPad Laptops)

On 03/09/2021 17:32, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 03/09/2021 12:44, fraser kendall wrote:
>> Dell T7810
>
> Nice: Dell Precision T-series are 'proper' workstations and they're
> built and run like tanks. Very much my cup of tea, nice acquisition.
>
> I'll try and answer more generally with how I'd handle one of those
> rolling up on my doorstep and please ask again about anything specific I
> miss.
>
> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/precision-t7810-workstation/drivers
>

> That's an older - but still supported - system so if you order that by
> date release you'll see that Dell have pretty much stopped releasing
> upgrades for it by now. Just a single release this year and only a
> single BIOS upgrade in 2020 so it's in full maintenance mode with Dell
> only releasing presumably security critical patches every now and then.
>
> This is good news from your perspective as unlike a brand new Dell
> you'll have virtually no new firmware or BIOS upgrades to worry about -
> I'd simply use the existing Windows 10 system that comes with it to
> install Dell Support Assist and do a single pass to flash it to current
> once and then bookmark the above link to the Dell page. That's you
> basically done for firmware updating for the lifetime of the machine.
>
> With that out of the way, google how to extract the license key of your
> Win10 install with a powershell one-liner, write it down and then blow
> windows away forever on the bare metal... unless you specifically want
> or need a bare metal windows installation. In which case nuke the
> existing one for obvious reasons, grab a clean ISO from Microsoft and
> reinstall to a separate SSD or NVME drive reusing your valid Pro key.
> Don't arse about with partitioning single drives, it's a workstation and
> drives are cheap: each OS gets it own drive.
>
> That being said I categorically would run that box on linux: it's super
> well supported, has tons of power and you're already thinking of using
> Qemu/KVM for VMs anyway. Just go that route if you need Windows.
>
> Make sure the system is setup correctly in it's BIOS. Enable all the
> latest UEFI + secureboot options. Dell Pro systems have *very*
> comprehensive UEFI/BIOS setups with every option you can imagine
> available so spend a while combing through it to familiarise yourself
> with it fully. It's easy to miss things defaulting to weird values like
> memory timings. Workstation firmware defaults are usually setup to quite
> conservative values and can often tolerate a fair bit of tweaking.
>
> Finally if you got one with a HBA then watch out for it - it might have
> a Dell PERC or a LSI unit and not all HBAs are created equal. Generally
> speaking unless you got one that can be easily reflashed to IT mode
> you'll be better off ignoring it and using the normal SATA backplanes to
> attach your disks.
>
> Anyway have fun, that's a cool machine! You might want to replace the
> [...]

I run a Dell Laptop Latitude E6530 series with dual booting.
Reason:
I use MS Windows 10 (was originally a Windows 7 machine second hand many
years ago) for teaching purposes nowadays.
Originally used to operate with my then employers who were solidly a MS
Windows shop with about 5000 odd desktops; with many then pirated copies
(in sub-suppliers) and legal copies  in use in our own P R China factories.
Odd note: The Russian factories and sub-suppliers always ran legal software.

Linux dual boot has always been on an external USB hard drive, with
GRUB2 on that disc. So when USB hard drive disconnected it is a pure MS
Windows machine. (Easy on updates).

The openSUSE Leap 15.3  distro on one external hard drive is my main
machine.

A similar older Dell set up is my spare.

I have used this way of dual booting for many years (say late 1990s)

PS I *only* talked / exchanged files  to 'odd' PR China folk from a Live
Knoppix used with my Dell E6530 or its predecessors.
Russia, Iraq , Iran not a problem.

I have found this way of dual booting to be useful and successful.
Demo units.
Some older machines still active for my u3a class are: one on pure
Debian, one machine dual booting for demo purposes Windows 10 & Ubuntu
on internal drive, one machine on openSUSE only.

Dell Latitude dual booting via external USB drive works well.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald