Re: [LUG] Fwd: Debian 11 "bullseye" released

On 15/08/2021 06:36, Paul Sutton via list wrote:

> The Debian Project                               https://www.debian.org/
> Debian 11 "bullseye" released                           press@xxxxxxxxxx
> August 14th, 2021              https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20210814
>

> After 2 years, 1 month, and 9 days of development, the Debian project is
> proud to present its new stable version 11 (code name "bullseye"), which
> will be supported for the next 5 years thanks to the combined work of
> the Debian Security team [1] and the Debian Long Term Support [2] team.
>
>     1: https://security-team.debian.org/
>     2: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
>
> Debian 11 "bullseye" ships with several desktop applications and
> environments. Amongst others it now includes the desktop environments:
>
>   * Gnome 3.38,
>   * KDE Plasma 5.20,
>   * LXDE 11,
>   * LXQt 0.16,
>   * MATE 1.24,
>   * Xfce 4.16.
>
> This release contains over 11,294 new packages for a total count of
> 59,551 packages, along with a significant reduction of over 9,519
> packages which were marked as "obsolete" and removed. 42,821 packages
> were updated and 5,434 packages remained unchanged.
>
> "bullseye" becomes our first release to provide a Linux kernel with
> support for the exFAT filesystem and defaults to using it for mount
> exFAT filesystems. Consequently it is no longer required to use the
> filesystem-in-userspace implementation provided via the exfat-fuse
> package. Tools for creating and checking an exFAT filesystem are
> provided in the exfatprogs package.
>
> Most modern printers are able to use driverless printing and scanning
> without the need for vendor specific (often non-free) drivers.
> "bullseye" brings forward a new package, ipp-usb, which uses the vendor
> neutral IPP-over-USB protocol supported by many modern printers. This
> allows a USB device to be treated as a network device. The official SANE
> driverless backend is provided by sane-escl in libsane1, which uses the
> eSCL protocol.
>
> Systemd in "bullseye" activates its persistent journal functionality, by
> default, with an implicit fallback to volatile storage. This allows
> users that are not relying on special features to uninstall traditional
> logging daemons and switch over to using only the systemd journal.
>
> The Debian Med team has been taking part in the fight against COVID-19
> by packaging software for researching the virus on the sequence level
> and for fighting the pandemic with the tools used in epidemiology; this
> work will continue with focus on machine learning tools for both fields.
> The team's work with Quality Assurance and Continuous integration is
> critical to the consistent reproducible results required in the
> sciences. Debian Med Blend has a range of performance critical
> applications which now benefit from SIMD Everywhere. To install packages
> [...]

Dear Paul,
20210815
Many thanks for this.
I have one machine that only runs Debian (very old Machine)

I had just updated it to Debian 10.7 a week of so ago.
Failed at an upgrade so used a minimum net install for first time.
So in a few weeks when rush has stopped I will get more practice at
trying  to upgrade it to Debian 11.

I have just

--
regards