Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi, done.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 05:28:26PM +0100, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 31/05/2021 16:39, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > So why buy Mesh / Linksys Velop etc etc?
>
> Indeed. This is exactly what I'm saying: do NOT buy any of that.
>
> Remember this isn't some hypothetical situation or experience I'm talking
> about: I literally install and setup wifi gear and networks for clients week
> in week out. I've done hundreds of them at this point.
>
> I suspect a single nanoHD AP situated centrally in your stairwell will be
> revelatory and make  you realise just how terrible your current network
> situation is. Quite frankly for a single normal sized residential property
> with only "regular" amounts of awkward reception blackspots like yours even
> a single nanoHD is probably going to be enormous overkill which is why I
> recommend just getting a single unit to start with. You can spend a couple
> of days manually repositioning the unit advantageously as well before you
> screw it into it's final position. That being said I don't believe in
> overkill - it's just future proofing or capacity planning by another name.
> Nobody ever complained that their wifi was TOO good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> To avoid looking and feeling stupid by half-arsing it - and because on the
> scale of things, dropping ~£300 on SOHO wifi network gear that will last for
> years is nothing - I'd still put in two APs. If nothing else I'd want
> redundancy for when rolling firmware upgrades throughout the network. In my
> house and at forward thinking clients we're moving towards the inevitable
> future of cable runs to every single room (already done) and 5GHz APs in
> every single room (half done). Gigabit (at least) internet to the premises
> and WIFI6 are nearly here too and I plan on being able to fully enjoy them.

Have installed ubiquiti / unifi. It works. One nanoHD was not enough,
decided to buy a "Dream Machine" as well (ie replacement router / wifi).
This also provides the management software.

Many thanks, and if anyone else uses a "Dream Machine"
-       Console = router
-       Ignore the setup suggestion of using an APP, just log in to
        192.168.1.1

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately