[LUG] Broken Ubuntu

Hi

My Father-in-law has an acer laptop with Ubuntu 20.10 installed. They don't know what happened but when I turned the screen on the resolution was 4:3 and font very large and all network connections gone. I loaded a previous version of Ubuntu by pressing esc and retrieving the boot list. I now have a network and a readable screen. However, the system won't update. An error says:

E: The package linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-48-generic needs to be reinstalled, but an archive for it can't be found.

Any ideas please?

--

Kind regards

Richard Brown