Re: [LUG] OT Windows 11

On 28/06/2021 18:00, David Bell wrote:
Greetings,

There are those amongst us who probably use fairly elderly machines to
dual boot Linux/Windows.

I would be interested to hear user's views on the recently published
hardware requirements to run Windows11.

For me, EOS for Windows 10 in 2125 means end of MS Windows full stop.

There's not really a lot to say is there? "It is what it is", whatever that's supposed to mean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The choice is simple: buy a compatible computer to run Windows 11 or don't and run something else. This has been the same since the dawn of computing: if you need to run certain software you _have_ to buy hardware that supports running it. There isn't any other option. Well, port the software yourself I suppose but Windows is closed source of course so your hands really are tied.

The restrictions may seem relatively onerous but Microsoft are free to set whatever seemingly arbitrary bar to entry they like. Taking the cut off date of 2025 into account they don't seem particularly harsh to me at least? Requiring TPM 2.0 seems odd until you think about Microsoft security architecture in depth with SecureBoot, UEFI and the integration of their other consumer-focused security stuff (things like Hello, biometrics, etc). Their architecture also requires hardware key-escrow partially to insulate the user from things like DRM keys as well so to a certain extent this requirement is to keep the computer safe from the user!

From the sysadmin perspective this is very much just business as usual: another OS refresh, another round of partial hardware refreshes and a new list of compatible models on the roster of units we can purchase order.

For the sort of users you mention like yourself, I guess you've got 3 or 4 years to figure out what to do so no hurry. As usual certain sectors have got a bit excited at the news and predicted this will drive a huge new wave of Linux desktop usage but I'm not sure sure lol. We've heard that many, many times before...

PS: I'm already testing Windows 11 and if you completely ignore the "Microsoft bit" - all the crappy unwanted cloud integration, telemetry, etc - and concentrate just on the actual technical Windows OS bit then Win11 is annoyingly good. The integrated WSL linux subsystem particularly is absolutely amazing and now has full GUI integration built in. Think kind of like Wine on Linux but on steroids.