Re: [LUG] IRC: Freenode -> Libera

Tell you what, how about I ask Simon to simply delete the site, as what ever I try and do will be wrong wrong wrong,  that way the LUG won't have a site at all.

All you have done here is moan.  I no longer have admin to the site, so all I can do is add pages and update,  clearly that is not good enough for people is it.

I don't know how to remove the trackers, I don't know anything about the MS product being promoted, I just tried to find a fresh theme,  with ZERO help.

People have been given admin before,  done nothing with it.  I no longer have admin btw so can't even change the theme.

Comments like this is WHY I am losing interest in computing and feel that i should NOT be encouraging anyone to study this subject as it is clearly elitist.

People need to appreciate when people are trying to do something or shut up.

I give up,  sorry lug this group is clearly not for people like me or anyone else.

Uh oh, someone is having a bad day apparently. Steady on chief - if none of this is your doing, and it sounds like it isn't, don't worry about it then. Nobody's trying to "blame" you for anything. As I said, I haven't even looked at the website for literally years. I have no need to but by random chance I just happened to load it up out of curiousity earlier. I have no idea who's responsible for it in anyway, how it even got there and have never previously mentioned it before to my knowledge. I know it's come up on the list before but I skip over those threads because they don't concern me.

I seem to have two choices here which is to ask you to clarify a bit more and now I've kicked a landmine dig in a bit more and even help you out if possible. So it sort of sounds like you're doing the general update stuff and content perhaps but don't have admin rights in the wordpress sense? Again, I have literally no idea what's going on here so you'd have to explain the whole situation to me. I'm guessing you've been largely left to a thankless task and have already had some stick from others about something? Maybe I should have read all those threads about the website on the mailing list I guess but just like I skip over all the recent stuff about IRC it's not relevant to me, so I ignore it.

However I think I'm going to go with option #2 here instead, which is simply back away as I couldn't give a crap about any of this either way. I'm certainly not putting up with drama or getting involved with some ongoing nonsense about admin rights or whatever it is that's got you so upset about something.

Whatever it is that has made you so upset though please at least don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Computers are awesome and fun and you can use them entirely on your own terms - don't worry about other people or their criticisms, perceived or real. I have no more right or suitability to be here than you for example so if you feel that the list or whatever is being elitist or rude or just being horrid to you then that's not fair. You should feel as welcome as anyone else. You might also have to accept that some criticism is valid though my friend. Snowflaking out and crying about everyone being mean to you isn't a good look either when you're a full blown adult ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So look I'm genuinely sorry for blundering into this and stirring a beehive: I genuinely didn't know anything about the site or it's edit/admin history, had no idea you were notionally helping out with it and certainly didn't mean to have a go at anyone directly.

Ok, have I covered everything? I officially don't care and will never mention the site again after this email. Today was the first time in years I'd even remembered it existed so it can go back to limbo where it belongs.

Now my challenge to you dear readers is load up the site and take a long hard look at it.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/

I'm warning you that that is beyond bad: it's so bad that it's begging to be discovered by r/linux or some other hotbed of sarcastic teenage internetters and turned into a cruel meme about how lame the DCGLUG site is. It is literally the worst website I have seen in months and that is really, really saying something. On my 4K monitor the text

Devon
and
Cornwall
GUN/Li
Nux Users
Group

By default spans 60% of vertical space in Firefox. There are prominent LinkedIn and Twitter buttons right on the main page. Ublock is warning me that WP stats is being blocked. You couldn't make this up.

I agree with Paul entirely about one thing: nuke the site. It's a straight up embarrassment and considering it gets presumably zero traffic and is stressing Paul out it is apparently literally doing more harm than good. I'd replace it with a static single page placeholder for basic info about where to find the list and archives, IRC, etc.

This email is now finally over and with it my brief interest with the DCGLUG website. Good luck with it!