Re: [LUG] Scammer's Attitude

On 15/06/2021 14:30, Neil wrote:
> Today my wife was using her laptop and somehow picked up a scammer. This
> individual surprised me by being so aggressive. I always expect scammers
> to be more into trying to get you to believe their rubbish by being
> quiet and persuasive. But not this one.
>

> Anyone on the list finding an increase recently in this scam rubbish?
>
> Neil

Folks, 20210615.
No aggressive ones noted, but many swear and put phone down when I say I
have no operational Windows computer.
Scam on the land telephone to me now about 3 to 6 per week.
It  has increased since about February 2021 time when it was 1 or 2 per
month.
Some with numbers withheld, some with visible originating numbers.
Only about 1 in 10 is regarding 'your computor', human voice on scam.
Most say 6 in 10 are Amazon based scams.
 "Amazon Prime will be renewed automatically by deduction from account
for pounds xx, press 1 if you do not wish to renew" or some such, mostly
a recorded voice message.

However, a B&B in Wales we use was scammed last week by email, by
sending a scam message out to all her customers, in Welsh [*] asking
folk to reply as she needed a favour. [* She writes to English speaking
customers in English, so a give away.]
When I checked the header, there was nothing untoward about the sending
IP email originating address, so I presume her password had been
compromised.
(After I made her a phone call she has changed email address for her B&B)

--
regards
Eion MacDonald