Re: [LUG] New Laptop Web Cam

Dear Neil,

> My new laptop has a built in webcam. However, when I run cheese I do
> not get any picture. This suggests to me that the camera is not
> switched on. So can anyone tell me where to go from here please. I
> have already searched, to no avail.
>
> Running MX Linux which is based on Debian.

I've got a few ideas that might lead to an answer :)

Most inbuilt webcams are actually USB internally, so you should
hopefully see it in the output of `lsusb`. Mine comes up as "Linux
Foundation EEM Gadget", so it may not be obviously marked as 'webcam'.

You can also try running `dmesg | grep input`. This should show you if
your camera has been detected as an input device; when I run it I see
"input: Webcam gadget: UVC HD Camera as..." at the end of the output,
after various other input devices like the mouse and keyboard.

Finally, you could try using v4l-utils, which you may need to install
first:

sudo apt-get install v4l-utils
v4l2-ctl --list-devices

The output from any or all of those commands would be really helpful in
trying to find where the problem lies, so please do send the output here
if you'd like me and maybe others to take a look on your behalf :)

Some keywords should you want to research further:

* Video4Linux (v4l) is the set of device drivers that all provide a
common way for programs to get the image from your webcam. v4l-utils is
a group of programs to help test or manage webcams. v4l2 means the
second version of v4l.

* Universal Video Class (UVC) is the type of USB device that webcams
implement. It's almost completely cross-platform now :)

* EEM Gadget refers to the fundamental type of device driver for
composite devices - in my case, that's the video plus the audio input of
my webcam.

* Masking tape is the thing that you stick onto the lens when you are
not using it, at least if you don't want to be watched. Alternatives
exist that do not deposit a sticky layer on the plastic!

Again, I'm always happy to take a look at the output of those commands
for you :) Best wishes,

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'