Re: [LUG] Replacement for gksu

Dear Neil,

> Are there any other replacements for gksu please?

I'm not familiar with gksu, but if you are using GNOME it is possible to
access root-owned files by using a special prefix to the file's path.

With Gedit (the GNOME text editor), for example, you can press 'open' at
the top left, then 'other documents' to bring up the file selection
window. From here you can press Ctrl+l to bring up an 'address bar',
into which the special address goes.

admin:///etc/fstab

You could also use sudoedit, which doesn't require GNOME (although I am
still using gedit as an example editor here).

EDITOR=gedit sudoedit -e /etc/fstab

I found those solutions and quite a few others on the Arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_GUI_applications_as_root#GVFS

However, it seems as if all the other methods have rather serious
implications for security. That said, they may not be any worse than the
sudoedit method in practice, as any malicious program running under X11
could log your password anyway.

Alternatively, you could just edit the files with `sudo nano`. GNU Nano
is a lovely little text editor; it's easy to use at first but can be
pretty powerful if you take the time to configure it to your liking.

Hope this gives some potential leads if not a complete solution! :)

Best wishes,

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'