Re: [LUG] 20210412 OT Help please. How to read an old Amstrad file (word type) today?

I had a similar problem but still had an old Amstrad PCW with additional 3.5 inch drive fitted. Indeed I still do have it - but not used in ages so I'm not sure it still works.

If you've already got the file on a 3.5 inch floppy disc you don't need that stage perhaps. For the method I used I think you'd need first to copy your file from the ext4 to a dos-formatted floppy disk.

Then I installed an MS-DOS emulator on my Linux PC (DosBox, dosemu or similar), and loaded Amstrad's original LocoScript software Amstrad's floppy discs. I think I have images of them too somewhere. After that it was possible to open the original Amstrad files and save to  WordPerfect format which LibreOffice can read/write.

All a bit clunky but it saved my old work.

BW

Rod

----------

Treweythyow yw restrennow serghys y'n furvas Skrifen Igor (*.odt po *.ods). Prag? Drefen na gregi war unn kowethas hepken rag dhrehedhes ow resyow yn termyn a dheu. Gwel:  https://www.documentliberation.org/
Martesen a lavarro MS-Office 'restren gans fowt' rag digolenni homma mes ev a wrello igeri an restren(now) yn despit dhe henna.

Attached files are likely to be open-document format (*.odt or *.ods). Why? So as not to depend on one company for accessing my own data in future. See:  https://www.documentliberation.org/
MS-Office may say 'damaged file' to discourage this but should open the attachment(s) anyway.

Rod Sheaff

'Dunsland',
Barn Street,
Liskeard,