Re: [LUG] 20210412 OT Help please. How to read an old Amstrad file (word type) today?

Sorry for the top post here - bottom replying using the Gmail app on Android is painful as it keeps putting my reply as part of the quoted message rather than under it.

I may have misunderstood you. Do you have the file on a modern computer, you just can't read it? Or is the file on a CF2 disk and you're trying to get it on a modern computer so you can read it?

Grant.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 20:14 Eion MacDonald, <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/04/2021 20:10, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 19:23 maceion@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:maceion@xxxxxxxxx>,
> <maceion@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:maceion@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     To    List DCG LUG <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>     Copy  maceion (Gmail) <maceion@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:maceion@xxxxxxxxx>>
>     Dear FOLK,
>     20210412
>     Help please
>     20210412 OT  How to read an old Amstrad file (word type) today?
>
>     Friend giving talks to a German class has an old talk about travels
>     through East Germany ( "DDR") by rail in 1960s. Saved to an Amstrad
>     file.
>
>     We have tried various ways to read file. It is on a 3" floppy and copy
>     on is modern computer  is unreadable on his computer.
>
>     Any way to read file from his computer via some file system or method?
>
>     Thanks for help in advance.
>

> Is the old machine still usable?
> If so, does the old machine have any kind of serial port?
> If so, can the machine be connected to another and transfer the file(s)
> over a serial line?
>
> If the machine is not usable, can the drive be extracted? There are some
> good guides online on how to connect up an old CF2 drive to a PC - it
> connects to a 5.25in floppy connector, not to the 3.5in one, so you'd
> need a machine old enough to have one of those. There's also mention of
> some software to read the CF2 disk, but mostly that seems to be because
> Windows doesn't know how to handle unusual disk formats. If you manage
> to get the drive hooked up correctly, and Linux sees it as a floppy
> drive, then I'd say you could probably extract the data from the disk on
> Linux without the need for strange software.
>
> Grant.

Answers No old machine, no old

--
regards