Re: [LUG] Encryption was Re: Disk Wiping

On 04/03/2021 18:39, Simon Waters wrote:
On Thursday, 4 March 2021 18:07:18 GMT John PNZ wrote:
I think, comrade, that some people rely on physical barriers for data
protection rather than adopting encryption at rest, but that they prefer to
wipe before giving a drive to another user. That seems a supportable
concept.

I don't think our Comrade is saying rely entirely on encryption and never
wipe, just that he is much more relaxed about procedures for wiping the disks
because even if he does it wrongly, or forgets, without the password the
contents are still protected. So he's not feeling the need to axe any disks,
even if his threat model is more extreme for work data.

  Simon

Encryption on its own is probably not enough, all the encryption algorithms in use 40 years ago are now trivial to decrypt without a key And it is entirely likely that all the encryption algorithms in use today will be trivial to decrypt in 40 years time. I grant that 40 years for many is probably inconsequential to the data on the disk, anyway we all know your password is going not have a lot of entropy, because you need to be able to remember it or spend six minutes typing it in every time you boot up.