Re: [LUG] Linux failing to initialise USB bus at boot

Dear Julian,

> A few times lately my system has failed to initialise the USB at
> boot... ...I have one USB => PS2 adaptor with which I could
> theoretically log in but then I'd have no network.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's not likely to work. Most often,
these adapters still require both the motherboard and the keyboard to
understand USB; if you want something that actually converts the signal
then it would probably be in the £30 price area.

> Is the source more likely to be the motherboard or Linux?

Have you tried accessing the BIOS settings screen? It can usually be
entered by rapidly tapping a special key (often Esc or F10) immediately
after pressing the power button. This happens before Linux starts, so it
should tell you where the problem is:

If this works and you get into the settings, then it's the Linux OS
that's at fault. If it doesn't read the keypresses at all and thus goes
straight into Linux, then you have a faulty USB chip on the motherboard.

If you are lucky enough to be able to get to the BIOS settings, then
you'll be able to repair Linux's USB configuration, although I'm not
guaranteeing that'll be easy...!

Hope this helps :)

Best wishes,

Sebastian