Re: [LUG] Recaptcha was Re: Google Account

On 07/12/2020 16:40, George Parker wrote:

I'm having trouble with captcha on Ebay. Firefox is my main browser and for the last 3 weeks I have not been able to login Ebay on FF. It comes up with captcha at login, tick the pictures and it asks you to then copy a random script and paste it in a box. It then sits there doing nothing. If I go into Vivaldi I can click on sign in and log in using user name and password. In FF clicking on sign in brings up  captcha. I think it happened when I got a bank customer service to talk me through resetting a password and they told me to clear all FF history. Baaaad move. It certainly makes using Ebay a pain. (I have duck-duck-goed the problem with poor results.)

For people having recent problems with captchas in Firefox the issue is most likely with the Firefox Privacy Protections which can be accessed:

1: via the little purple shield icon to the left of the URL bar
2: in the preferences menu sections
3: via the "hidden" about:config and related internal settings pages

Ranked in ascending order of ease to find/use.

Presuming you're not using VPNs, blocking javascript and haven't excessively fiddled with security options the most likely cause is having "Strict Mode" enabled in the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" settings for the offending sites. Distasteful as it may be certain sites - particularly 'mainstream' ones that require logins - just won't work/load properly with that setting on, you'll have to relax it to "Standard" or a carefully modified "Custom" setting on a case by case basis.

Your treatment of cookies will also come into play - there are a lot of variables up in the air here.

Firefox containers - particularly with the Temporary Containers addon in play - also bring their own set of rules as you're now (purposefully) isolating and presenting each new tab context as an empty instantiation. There will be no session or other cookies for websites to probe now: unless you confine URL regexes to specific named container spaces and then "pin" cookies within them by design you are intentionally presenting each new tab as a tabla rasa, if you'll pardon the pun.

I'm not going to pretend that all these technologies stacked on top of each other aren't to a certain extent confusing - wrestling them all under control and keeping them that way is relatively advanced I'm afraid.

For what it's worth: I'm a worst case scenario for data slurping websites. However I never get captchas and I login and out of mainstream web properties like Amazon, Ebay, Google etc all day every day. Half the time my VPN endpoint isn't even in the UK either.