Re: [LUG] Blanking screen on login after suspend

Dear Anthony,

It's been a couple of days since Eion sent his suggestions, so I'll
assume that you are still looking for a solution. Here's my attempt at
providing that!

> The niggle that is after a short time the screen blanks (screensaver?) and
> it appears at a glance as if the computer is not on, so on occasion it has
> drained the battery and turned itself off.
> I am using Xubuntu 20.04 and (i think) LightDM GTK+ greeter- and yes i've
> already tried messing with all the settings from the system menu, including
> the one which has a slider saying 'Timeout until the screen blanks - which
> is set to Never.

That slider seems confusing! The right is 60 minutes, which seems like a
reasonable maximum time, but the left is 'Never', which is... infinitely
longer... so is the slider increasing to the left or the right!? After a
fun forage around in the source code, exploring all the way down from
lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings to lightdm-gtk-greeter and finally to Xlib,
it turns out that that slider goes left to right, from 0 to 3600. Xlib
has a function XSetScreensaver that accepts an integer for timeout:

See
https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/XSetScreenSaver.3.xhtml
>> Timeout and interval are specified in seconds. A timeout of 0
>> disables the screen saver

Thus, quite aside from these technical curiosities, my suspicion is that
either:

- That slider *looks* like it's at never, but it's actually just
        slightly to the right. That would explain your "after a short time".

- Or, lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings is not saving your settings properly.

In any case, run

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

in a terminal window to find out the *true* value of that slider.

And of course you can simply edit that file as sudo/root to make sure
that you have the line screensaver-timeout = 0 in the [greeter] section.

Thank you for providing me with the inspiration to try Xubuntu. The more
I play around with Xfce the more I like it, and Xubuntu's configuration
is lovely. I like it when a DE is responsive on 1GB of RAM and
single-core virtualisation, courtesy of an Intel 8400! :)

I hope this helps your problem!

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'