Re: [LUG] OT: Personal Network Query

On 09/10/2020 22:07, Julian Hall wrote:
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. To clarify a couple of points;

  * I am not an employee nor do I have any physical access to the
    premises, I am 'just' one of the Next of Kin of a resident, who
    happens to know something of the issue.
  * I have no idea of budget or if the group that runs the home will
    fund it or if it's local funding.
  * The comment was made to me in passing about employees leaving, which
    makes me think employees are issued with fixed IP addresses - for
    what possible reason I don't know - which are then not erased if the
    employee leaves.
  * It's a good point about the size of the IP pool and length of DHCP
    leases. For example my visits tend to be 3 hours absolute maximum,
    so a short lease of 4 hours would be more than enough. Also my
    router at home has up to *.100 IP addresses set aside for fixed
    equipment like PCs, printers etc, and *.101 to *.254 addresses are
    dynamically assigned to everything else. In short 100 IPs (probably
    overkill but it works) for cabled kit and 154 (again overkill) for
    WiFi. Lease time is 24 hours (at least I assume that 86400 is
    seconds, so that's 24 hours).

It's a care home (commercial entity), not a community hall! The business owners need to get a quote for warrantied work from a professional just like they would any other operational expenditure. That business is highly regulated and if staff equipment with medical records is being connected as you originally said they have even more stringent boxes to tick.

This is not a situation for random fiddling with DHCP lease settings on a router - although as others have rightly pointed out it sounds like things have got into a pretty deplorable state if they've somehow "run out of IPs". Advise them to get a professional, they need it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯