Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On Sunday, 27 September 2020 18:12:54 BST Mark Andrew Smith via list wrote:

> My Chromebook is fantastic. I love it.

I got one for my partner a few years back now who also thinks it is excellent.

The battery in that one now has next to no life, but that is a battery age
thing.

Whilst I have reservations about trusting everything to Google, and the
essentially proprietary service, as an end user device it is very well done,
still works seemlessly, and was very relatively cheap to buy at the time.

There are caveats, it isn't really a general use computer, and if you want it
for that you will be sad. If you just want to browse, use Google Docs, handle
email, you are fine. Anything more check it can do it before purchase.

The support from Google isn't what it was, my partner was trying to use Google
Photos to grab photos she'd taken on her phone the other day, and the
integration has gone backwards for ChromeOS users in recent releases, where as
Windows and Mac had first class support from Google. Weird because it looks
really easy to fix, since she really just wanted to add the picker into the
filemanager so you can attach photos to file uploads in the browser, which is a
common integration for other services and what happens on Mac and Windows.

This and the Android integration, makes me think Google aren't that interested
any more. So I doubt you'll get the many years of happy service my partner
got. But if it does what you need for now and aren't upset by the proprietary
nature of the service, I'm sure it will be good for non-power users.⎄