Re: [LUG] Public Key Servers

On 08/08/2020 17:00, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
To DCGLUG members
Public Key Servers.
20200808 Some time ago, when I queried a public key (expired), I was
given a site from to download it; with comments about key servers being
unreliable.

While researching a matter for a PRC friend, I came across the Beijing LUG.
Interestingly their warrant canary shows a lot of stuff about obtaining
correct key from key servers to check their warrant canary signers.

I read and learnt some things. (PS I checked one key,
PPS They are very wary about membership and check in person before
joining and if members asked to show smartphone Corvid-19 tracer, which
  can give location history, they abandon indoor meeting (usually a cafe
with WiFi announced on morning of meeting) and meet in open air

Any comment from you knowledgeable folk about key servers?

Yeah, proper security is hard even if you know what you're doing.

Hardly surprising considering the level of their chief "enemy" is full on Nation State but the BLUG are having a pretty good go at it, I'm impressed. I'm sure your friend knows this all too well but when the adversary is more than capable of disappearing people off the streets it's gonna take a lot more than a warrant canary and some PGP keys to keep them out of trouble.

It's not difficult to compromise key signers and warrant holders if you're prepared to literally hold a gun to someone's head...