Re: [LUG] Help Please

On 21/07/2020 11:23, David Bell wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book on linux for beginners please?
>
> TIA

Possible simple guide is
 "Magazine Book" "Getting started with Linux" published by Linux
Magazine (in UK/Germany) called linux Magazine Pro (in USA)
https://www.linux-magazine.com/
But is is based on openSUSE.

Cover Theme: Getting Started with Linux – 2019 Edition
https://www.linux-magazine.com/Resources/Special-Editions

It is about half way down the page.

I have used this and their other one on LibreOffice in my tutorials.

I get  set openSUSE (installed as system with GRUB2 ON THE FLASH DRIVE)
on a 32 Gb flash drive, to practice on outside their own computer.
This seems to work, and gives confidence they can not harm their own system

As information on distros with regards to basics is much the same this
is OK

It does however cover the openSUSE  file updater  "Zypper" which is
different on other distros.

Another one is the Dummies series, and a lot on internet.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald