Re: [LUG] Linux Mint 20 and autofs [trying to mount NFS shares on NAS]

On 16/07/2020 21:38, comrade meowski wrote:
On 16/07/2020 21:27, Julian Hall wrote:

I have since tried adding them to the fstab, which I then added to the list of methods that don't work. However trying to mount them manually using 'sudo mount -a' gave an access denied error, which may well be the root of all the problems, and I have no clue what that's about.

Well if you're copying them verbatim _and_ you want the mount points to stay the same (/media/julian/BLAH) as on the working system you should actually be able to just copy them over.

BUT systemd won't know about the changes to it's units until you either reboot or just call:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Don't forget you need to actually enable the new automount units!

sudo systemctl enable BLAH

And then you have to start them:

sudo systemctl start BLAH

After which you should have everything working. Remember you don't need to manually mount those NFS shares any more, they will be automatically mounted on demand when you access them in any way.

My guess is you've just missed one of the extra steps listed here but otherwise everything is ok.

I knew there was something I hadn't done. I also installed openssh-server on the laptop to make administering it easier.

ulian@192.168.1.136's password:
julian@APHRODITE ~ $ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
julian@APHRODITE ~ $ sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/media-julian-DEMETER.mount julian@APHRODITE ~ $ sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/media-julian-HESTIA.mount julian@APHRODITE ~ $ sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/media-julian-PERSEPHONE.mount

All good so far. Daemon reloaded and all three mounts enabled.

julian@APHRODITE ~ $ sudo systemctl start /etc/systemd/system/media-julian-DEMETER.mount Failed to start etc-systemd-system-media\x2djulian\x2dDEMETER.mount.mount: Unit etc-systemd-system-media\x2djulian\x2dDEMETER.mount.mount not found.

I spoke too soon. For the moment I'll assume '\x2d' is a control code for '-'. Why it now says it cannot find the mount point it only just enabled is a mystery, the final hurdle though I hope! Is it saying 'mount.mount' for some oddball reason?

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley