Re: [LUG] Possible browser security problem

On 16/07/2020 16:08, Simon Waters wrote:

Many password managers don't routinely use the paste buffer for precisely this
sort of reason.

If you are routinely sticking passwords in the paste buffer consider a better
password manager that fills the passwords in for youIf you have to paste you
can still be phished, which defeats most of the win, as human error still
lurks at the heart of the login steps.

You're right of course and these days password managers are much more sophisticated. I just checked a couple of mine and indeed they no longer just lazily use the copy/paste buffer to shunt credentials to the browser. They probably stopped doing that years ago now and I never noticed!

They do generally have a "clear clipboard" timeout option though, which on reflection must be for those rare occasions where they _do_ use the copy/paste buffer for legitimate operations: I guess an example would be when you use the generate password function and want to immediately paste the result into a web page during sign up.

Looks like I was being a bit too paranoid so it's always nice to find something I can actually relax a bit on. One that _I_ can file under "don't worry about it" as it turns out :]