[LUG] 20200716 OT odd behaviour, Any thoughts? iPhone breaks censorship. OT long distance instruction in Linux.

To list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
20200716
20200716 OT odd behaviour, Any thoughts? iPhone breaks censorship

In a (Country) where censorship by a big wall round internet is in being
over last few days an anomaly occurred. Do you iPhone users have any
explanation? (i do not use an iPhone)

An old friend  resident there, lost access to ProtonMail a few days ago
and assumed it had fallen foul of the big wall.
This was from laptop and iPhone inside his house in centre of main city.
He does not use   VPN. (That brings in the boys in green!)

But yesterday when on mountains outside city his iPhone on "Data"
received test messages from me.

On return to house, again no ability to get to ProtonMail either on
laptop or iPhone, when reconnected to house WiFi.

I assume this is a difference between ISP and phone service supplier,
but that is in same country!

Meanwhile, ON TOPIC at long distance I am trying to get him setup with
encryption and use of an email from my website. Difficult when he has no
knowledge of encryption.
Also trying to get him to set up a burner laptop using linux (old 2nd
hand purchase), purely to use for encrypted email, from USB Live Linux
or installed Linux.   USB can be 'lost' while laptop has no entries for
email.

This is a hard tutoring, as no access to western help such as YouTube or
Wikipedia or most western IT help sites. I am learning as well.

But any thoughts on the iPhone bypass or big wall censorship?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald