Re: [LUG] OT Logisim 6502

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020, Tom via list wrote:

I was looking for things to educate my kids during the long wet summer we have coming and found this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhY6YTFdusM

It has links to a logisim 6502ish based simple computer with 64k of ram.

Good luck getting young people interested in slow, old, retro stuff... (especially if it doesn't play games like a C64)

I've also found this: http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html which might be fun to play with.

And if you do play with it, then you'll be precisely the 2nd person on the planet to do so, from what I can tell. (the first person being the person who wrote it) Basically everyone does their own thing for the most part, or the port/re-write/re-implement a somewhat boring old "WozMon"

My own 6502 projects have morphed into a 65c816 project that can natively compile and run BCPL programs under what's accidentally turning into a very tiny unix-like operating system...

There are still BBC Micros available though - cheap as chips on ebay, etc. or just go here: https://bbc.godbolt.org/

People are still hacking the Beeb and making new stuff for it - e.g. a universal 2nd/Tube processor based on a Raspberry Pi Zero that can emulate a 6502 2nd processor at just under 300Mhz. Or the original ARM 2nd processor at - well Pi 0 speeds...

Also note that the 65C02 is still in production, some 45 years later...

Be aware that there is a large split in the 6502 community - those who used the BBC Micro and everyone else. Especially the trans-atlantic divide as the left pondians haven't heard of the Beeb and when I tell them about it, a lot of them do not believe what it was capable of in 1981. (or 'delete' the information due to their own beliefs and "not invented here" brainwashing)

Cheers,

Gordon