Re: [LUG] [SPAM] Re: Jittery playback

Hi

May 25, 2020 5:17 PM, "comrade meowski" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25/05/2020 02:07, rich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>> I have an old Lenovo ThinkPad 410 running Ubuntu 20.04. I attach a Dell > monitor
>> to it so the rest
>> of our family can watch films etc when I am in > bed.
>> When I do this though playback can become jittery and I get a spinning > disk and
>> pixelated screen.
>> I am using Vivaldi and this happens when I am > watching Netflix or YouTube. I
>> don't have any other
>> programmes running.
>
> That laptop isn't that bad - I've got a ThinkPad T41 that's nearly 10 years older
> still running
> fine. That definitely won't play videos properly but your T410 should be able to.
> There are however
> a lot of things that can go wrong with fullscreen streaming media like youtube on
> Linux.
>
> Has it worked previously on the same equipment?
> Can you play back a locally stored film on the same screen smoothly?
> What resolution is the TV?
> What resolution are you trying to play Youtube/Netflix at?
> Have you installed all the correct codecs/plugins/etc?
> Have you ruled out bandwidth problems, i.e., is your wifi or internet too slow?
> Can you try a different device?
>
> That's a good start.

Ok sorry for the delay incoming back. Testing the process out now. Just testing now
and as expected YouTube and Netflix both work fine on the laptop with no issues. I'm
now going to connect the other monitor.

1. No it hasn't worked before this is the first time of trying.
2. Yes it works fine.
3. 1920 x 1080
4. Not sure if I have this right but locally it is 720 x 436. I don't know how to
find the video resolution of Netflix. YouTube is 640 x 360 @ 24
5. Yes as far as I know.
Yes our bandwidth is running at 15.99 Mbps
6. Can't try a different device as no other device with connect to this monitor.

Thanks

Rich