Re: [LUG] Control Systems

On 05/04/20 12:03, Neil wrote:
> I have been told that systemd is now the way to go, and that soon all
> Linux distros will be using it.
>
> Apparently the previous system was sysvinit, or is that wrong?
>
> What is the consensus of opinion about this on this LUG list please?
>
> Neil

SystemDestruct! Don't do it ...

But seriously, you have barely any choice. Init systems do boil down to
systemd, systemd and systemd, and openrc with/out sysvinit and friends.
There is a new player on the market with s6-linux-init born out of the
excellent skalibs by a guy i know in France. Otherwise there are a few
other minorities like runit, and others I can't remember. But 98% of the
distro's these days are using systemd out-of-the-box, so it's only crazies
like me running Gentoo .. or if you're similarly daft, my other friend's
distro "Adelie" which is new and binary-based .. and a few other oddballs
.. left on OpenRC or else :( Such is the fate of Linux these days, dictated
by Google, Amazon and Redhat..... (all large Inc's you will notice...)*.
.
.
.
* Aside, I do know Sony Interactive Entertainment do a lot of indirect
'sponsorship' of  Gentoo Linux, so it's not -all- bad ...